Director of Fund Development – Highfields, Inc.
The Director of Fund Development fosters a culture of philanthropy within the organization and assures that the organization’s culture, systems and procedures support fund development and vice versa.
Plans, coordinates and assures implementation of strategies to develop donors and contributions to support the organization. The Director assures development and maintenance of appropriate systems to fund development including but not limited to volunteer and donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition and maintains accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works directly with the President/CEO, staff and board to define the organization’s mission and direction. Serves on Senior Management Team.
- Provides general oversight of all the organization’s fund development activities, manages the day to day operations of the development function, and monitors adequacy of activities through coordination with staff, appropriate committees and the board. Assures compliance with policies, procedures and ethical codes.
- Ensures attainment of the organization’s fund development activities through the selection, development, motivation and evaluation of human resources, both professional and volunteer.
- Works with the CEO, Fund Development Committee chair and the board chair to ensure fulfillment of fund development roles and facilitate the optimum interaction between management and volunteers
- Designs and assures implementation of cost-effective fund development programs, employing economy while maintaining an acceptable level of quality and solid return on investment.
- Supervises the Communications Specialist and the Fund Development Assistant.
- Participates in local and statewide groups that may increase the agency’s ability to meet development needs and fulfill its mission more fully.
Knowledge or Experience:
· Demonstrated ability to handle high stress situations.
· Demonstrated ability to translate broad goals into achievable steps, handling detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding management and development issues.
· Demonstrated ability to plan and meet deadlines and maintain a flexible work schedule.
· Demonstrated initiative and works as a team player.
· Expected to adhere to the highest ethical standards in management, governance and fund development.
· Convey a professional and positive image and attitude.
· Committed to professional growth and development.
· Demonstrated fund raising success. Experience and confidence in asking people to contribute time and money.
· Demonstrated success in proposal writing, special events, direct mail.
· Experience and knowledge of development office functions including gift processing and acknowledgment and fundraising reporting.
- Planned giving experience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply relationship skills in developing and engaging people for a variety of tasks and responsibilities.
· Demonstrated skill in positively managing volunteer relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to develop collaborative relationships with senior managers, staff, administrators, board members.
Minimum Qualifications / Experience:
- Comprehensive management skills including short and long-term planning, evaluation, directing and motivating staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to support senior management in realizing the organizational mission and developing goals to make its application appropriate to community needs.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and evaluate priorities.
- Ability to work well with employees and the general public.
- Ability to deal with and protect confidential information.
- General familiarity with computers and computer software systems.
· Willingness to commit to and help define the organizational mission.
- Shall be person of good character who possesses the health, emotional stability, maturity and strength to carry out assigned duties.
- Ability to show sensitivity to the service populations’ cultural and socioeconomic characteristics.
- Must participate in specific training
Education / Certifications:
- Bachelor degree required or work equivalent
- Master degree in a relevant field preferred
Level of Managerial Experience (People) Required
- Minimum of five years direct fund raising experience.
About our organization:
Highfields,Inc. began in 1962 as a residential camp for troubled boys in Ingham County. Our founders truly believed that with the right opportunities and resources, people can change their lives for the better.
Since then, we have taken our organization to new levels. We are now a multi-purpose human services organization which gives about 8,000 people every year the resources they need to turn their lives around. We operate out of five offices to serve 13 counties. Our organization has three branches: residential treatment, in-home counseling programs, and educational services.
Please send a cover letter/letter of interest to include salary requirements and an up-to-date resume to:
Heidi Barber, HR Specialist – email@example.com
Subject Line: Director of Fund Development
Our website is: www.highfields.org