Hands Across The Water
Contractual Adoption Specialist
Apply To: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Contractual Adoption Specialist shall hold at minimum a bachelor’s degree from an accredited program of social work or a related human behavioral science. Prior experience in family and children’s services or adoption preferred. The Contractual Adoption Specialist has experience in the professional delivery of intercountry adoption services and/or domestic adoption services.
The Contractual Adoption Specialist, if providing international adoption services, will also meet the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 8 CFR 204.3(b) by “being any party licensed or otherwise authorized under the law of the State of the orphan's proposed residence to conduct the research and preparation for a home study, including the required personal interview(s).”
The Contractual Adoption Specialist will maintain a license with the State of Michigan, if applicable.
Candidate may not have been convicted of child abuse or neglect, be listed on a central registry as a perpetrator of child abuse or neglect, or of a felony involving harm or threatened harm to an individual, within the 10 years immediately preceding the date of hire.
Appropriate candidate for this position must have the ability to be an active listener with good clinical observation and communication skills, be flexible and able to handle change, be a team player yet able to work independently, able to multi-task, and maintain case responsibility and follow-through. Knowledge of the international and/or domestic adoption process and laws/regulations pertaining to said process preferred. Knowledge of the issues of adoption as it relates to the adoptive family and child important. Appropriate candidate must have the ability, experience, education, and training to perform the duties assigned. Appropriate candidate must be able to understand and follow the agency’s Vision and Mission statements.
Hands Across The Water does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, or a matter directly or indirectly related to employment, because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, political beliefs or mental or physical disability.
The Contractual Adoption Specialist is responsible to complete adoptive family assessments (home studies), post placement evaluations, and child background studies as an independent contractor. The Contractual Adoption Specialist will follow and uphold the agency’s Vision and Mission Statement.
Salary: According to the current salary schedule.
Job Responsibilities and Description:
- Conduct international and/or domestic adoptive evaluations/assessments of families for adoptive placements.
2. Assist assigned families in the compiling of necessary documents for adoptive evaluations/family assessments.
3. Provide agency with written adoptive evaluations/family assessments on assigned families according to the direction of the Program Supervisor or Coordinator.
4. Complete post-placement/adoption supervision visit and report on assigned adoptive families. This includes meeting with family in their home at least one time for each supervisory report.
5. Provide agency with written post-placement/adoption supervision report on assigned adoptive families according to the direction of the Program Supervisor or Coordinator.
6. Prepare child background studies as assigned.
7. Assist assigned families in their transition to adoptive parenting. Assess and evaluate the needs of each family and their children and assist in providing appropriate resources pre- and post-adoption to facilitate stable, safe and nurturing adoptive placements.
8. Provide individualized training to families according to needs identified through the assessment process.
9. Maintain contact with assigned families on a monthly basis.
10. Attend agency staff meetings as assigned.
11. Participate in agency trainings as directed.
12. Maintain 15 hours of job related training per year.
13. Submit contract billing statements and mileage forms as directed.
The Contractual Adoption Specialist is accountable to the Program Supervisor or Coordinator.